“Bra Hats”? Yes! What better way to embrace the fun and sillyness of the RHS by making a hat from a bra!
I’ve yet to find a good step by step tutorial that describes how to do it, but here are some tips, links and photo inspiration to help you.
Making a Bra Hat
- Start with a bra – I’d recommend choosing a push up bra with a padded cup in red (or pink), so you don’t need to cover it.
- Place the centre of the cups on your forehead where you’d like to wear the hat, and mark how far along the chest straps you need to cut for them to meet at the back of your head.
- Leaving a seam allowance – cut the ends off the chest straps and sew them together.
- Cut the shoulder straps off.
- You can stop now and decorate the hat, or you can do a few more steps
- (optional) sew/glue boning from the bottom of the centre of one cup to the opposite side of the band, and again on the other side – forming a cross over the crown of the head. This helps keep any soft cups looking good, and also gives you a frame onto which you can weave feather boas. You could use pipe cleaners if you wish.
- (optional) If your cups need extra padding to keep their shape, take some stuffing and fill your bra cups, then sew fabric over the top to keep it in place.
- Add bling and adornments to make your bra into a fabulous hat!
Tutorials (of sorts)
More photos –